Customers of telecommunications service providers have their rights protected under Part 8 of the Telecommunications and Radiocommunications Regulations Act of 2009 (the Act).
This guideline reflects the provisions of the Act for the purpose of providing awareness and education to both consumers and service providers with regard to their respective commercial relationship.
The objectives of the Guideline are as follows:
• Clarify how Telecommunications Radiocommunications and Broadcasting Regulator (TRBR) expects service providers to educate consumers and respect and protect rights;
• Encourage best practice by service providers and promote the provision of high quality services to consumers;
• Ensure that consumers have all the information they need to make well-informed decisions in a competitive market;
• Set out service providers’ obligations with respect to Terms of Service, transparency in billing, quality of service and advertising;
• Provide consumers the opportunity to resolve disputes with their service providers in an effective and efficient way and set out the role of TRBR in dispute resolution; and
• Increase awareness of Consumer’s rights and discourage service providers from abusing these rights.